Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Good day sunshine!

I took a language class a couple years ago, and at the beginning of it we had to pick names in that language. I chose mine at random and got stuck being called "sunrise" or Dawn I guess would be the English equivalent, for a year and a half. I hated it, one reason being i still can't pronounce it properly and the other reason being that I really don't consider myself a sunshiney person.

So I got to thinking, which I do sometimes. This train of thought came when I was complaining how much it sucked to be awake in the daytime. See, I naturally wake up sometime around sunset and fall asleep around dawn. Vampire jokes aside, I realized that for some people/mythological beings, dawn is the time to stop and rest. Or, turn to ash. So I now take pride in having a name that represents the concept of subjectivity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you'll always be my little ray of sunshine, 'specially first thing in the morning, before coffee! Besides, you already have Lestat's complexion, why not keep his hours as well? I've always been more attuned to a nocturnal cycle myself. I think that one is usually better off following one's "internal" schedule then trying to alter the body's natural "rhythm". For example: When you were a baby, your feedings were when YOU were hungry, not on a timed schedule (i.e., every X hours), and I think we were BOTH happier for it!

J Hillard said...

With us living 6 time zones apart, it doesn't sync either way. You're either 6 hours ahead of me, or behind me. So we get to pass each other by phone call, to and from work, like the wolf and sheep dog in the WB cartoons. It'll be interesting when we're together again. The point is, we both like waffles and the Waffle Hoose is open 24/7. Was that a metaphor? I don't know.