Thursday, April 3, 2008

World Autism Awareness Day

Was yesterday, but the post still works, right? To commerorate the first ever World Autism Day, major news networks were broadcasting specials all day about Autism, including one called
"Finding Amanda", a "low-functioning" Autistic woman who lives by herself and seems to communicate rather well via a computer. (check out her YouTube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/silentmiaow).

Also mentioned was the startingly increasing rate of children with Autism, although it's worth mentioning that the definition of Autism was expanded recently which can account for some of the increase in numbers. Symptoms can include repetitive and "purposeless" behavior, interests limited in focus, impaired social interaction, etc. (Pulled shamelessly off of Wikipedia.)

Autism is a disease that covers such a broad range of people from low- to high-functioning. Another similar disease is Asperger sydrome, in which a person can usually function very well in society save some autistic-like behaviors. This leads to another theory of mine: what we call Autism is simply a more extreme manifestation of behaviors inherent in all human beings. Indeed, the interaction with one's environment as described by people such as Amanda seems to be a description of the oneness with the universe many people are looking for.

So here's what I want you all to do:

For people reading this on my blog, please respond by commenting. Then, if you like, copy and paste into the social networking site/blog of your choice (linking to my blog definately welcome). Sound cool? Ok, here we go:
----------------------------------------------------------------
The first ever World Autism Awareness Day was on April 2nd, 2008. People all over the world have been trying to raise awareness of this condition, and those with autism are trying to close the gap between them and "normal" people.

The question is, how abnormal are these behaviors: lack of social interaction, extreme focus on one subject or sensation, repetative or "purposeless behaviors"? I'm certain that everyone has something that would be classified as "autistic", and to help close the gap, I'm going to say one of mine:

Over my life, I have spent countless hours letting my hand rest lightly on water, marvelling at how it feels right before the tension breaks.

Please, help close the gap and help people realize that Autistic people are not freaks or retards, but people just like any of us. Repost this with one of your "little quirks".

For more information, please visit www.autism-society.org

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I live with someone with Asperger's so I see first hand how "locked in" he feels, and how much he'd give to not feel so much like an oustsider.

I myself have a strange repetitive behaviour. I have to smell *everything*. I think it's a defense mechanism devloped by being raised by a woman who A)couldn't cook and B)never threw anything out. I don't just do it to food though. New yarn? Gotta smell it. Receipt I got back from the store? Yep, sniff it. I've learned to do it discreetly (I hope)but, well, there it is.

J Hillard said...

I like flashing lights and cool sounds. I know it sounds childish, but an electronic device can keep my attention long after most people want to stop. Some call it Video Game addiction. But it isn't just video games. I would spend up to 4 hours a day in grade school either in front of the TV watching cable, then a movie, then video games, then back to cable.
Then with the advent of "Role playing games" that boast a 50+ hour play time, I can finish in as little as 3 sessions, to 100% completion. It took a few good people to remind me that flashing lights will still be there when I come back, and I can pull myself away, most times. Although I know how it sucks me in, I can still shut down 90% of my brain function and zombify in front of the TV or computer any time.

RealAnswers said...

Autism has been flourishing since 2000. Cell phones have been flourishing since 2000. Cell phones emit microwaves. Microwaves affect the brain and the fetus. Put down your phone and don't stick it next to your brain again. Take that phone off your waist if you're pregnant. Take it off if you're not. We cook food, not people with microwaves. I think there are some new questions to ask for Autism Month.

Try putting cell phones and microwaves and health into google. Try putting microwaves and autism in. Try cell phones, microwaves and cancer. Search on YouTube. It will make you sick.

Microwaves are not only emitted by cell phones, but also by cell towers. They make our wireless internet possible. We are all paying.